Dear Alliance of Clean Texas Friend,
You may have received an initial invitation in the last 10 days to once again participate in ACT as you have in previous legislative sessions. Alliance for Clean Texas (ACT) is a Texas coalition, where environmental, public interest, consumer-rights and faith groups have joined forces to work for clean, healthy communities.
Today marks the second of our weekly Friday alerts to be sent to you regarding critical bills of importance scheduled for hearing or a vote in the coming week.
This session is proving that we need you NOW more than ever before.
UPCOMING CRITICAL BILLS
We need people to call, email and testify on these three critical House bills regarding contested case hearings which will be heard in Environmental Regulation in E1.026 on Tuesday, March 31 at 8 am.
These bills relate to contested case hearings on permits before the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). A contested case hearing is a legal process by which a citizen can challenge or amend a permit for many industrial facilities including coal plants, landfills, cement plants, etc.
All three bills which will be heard Tuesday in Environmental Regulation, but differ in the following ways:
1) HB 1865 by Morrison limits the issues to be raised during the comment period and defines the time length of a hearing to 180 days from the preliminary hearing.
2) HB 1113 by Clardy broadens the TCEQ’s discretion to deny “affected” person(s) status and seeks to limit judicial review of discretion standard. (Senate Companion Bill: SB 941 by Creighton)
3) HB 1247 by Smith transfers the burden of proof onto the protestants who want to challenge or amend a permit. Provides for a higher burden of proof than Morrison’s bill. Allows applicant to provide additional evidence if sufficient.
We will also address these contested case bills which may be heard elsewhere in the near future:
4) SB 108 by Van Taylor with Companion Bill HB 201 by Leach – These two bills deal with shortening the timeline on contested case hearings re: water rights and/or building reservoirs. They limit the issues to be discussed and limit who will be able to participate in a hearing.
SUNDAY, MARCH 29 - LEGISLATIVE CALL
On Sunday night at 7 pm, we will hold our second weekly call where you can learn more details about these critical bills along with other proposed legislation and upcoming lobby days.
We will also report on two critical Senate bills which have passed out of their respective committees this past week, SB 1165, which could undo every oil & gas ordinance in the state and SB 931, which could end the state’s highly successful renewable portfolio standard.
The toll free call-in number for this Sunday’s call at 7:00 pm is 866.501.6174
Follow the prompts. The code for the call is 31790031892
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
1) March 30-31 (Mon./Tue) Sierra Club Lobby Day-Energy Resources
2) April 20-21 (Mon./Tue.) Sierra Club Lobby Day- Water
Click here to sign up for more information access.
Please join us in working to keep Texas clean, health, and safe for democracy!
Rita Beving & Associates
ACT Member Organizations include: